The attãck on the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke earlier on Wednesday had singer David Adeleke (Davido) as the target, the police has officially announced.
The incident resulted in the dæth of an aged man who was caught up in the shøotout between the gvnmen described as cultists and security officials attached to the governor and the singer.
Residents said crossfire lasted for at least 15 minutes causing panic around the palace of the Ataoja, a revered monarch who had hosted the governor and his entourage following the latter’s victory at the recent governorship election in the state.
Commenting on the incident, Police Public Relations Officer in Osun, Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary investigation revealed that members of Eye Confraternity were after Davido.
“One Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, an ex-cønvict, a suspected nøtørious thūg and member of eye confraternity allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of his security Team.
“The ensuing confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed the movement of the convoy of the Governor,” Ojelabi said.
A 60-year-old man identified as Tajudeen Yusuf was shøt dæd during the gvn duel.
“Shortly afterwards, the suspected gang members reportedly departed the vicinity and, however on their way, they allegedly shøt Tajudeen Yusuf at Itaolokan area of Osogbo.
“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a pool of bl00d. He was promptly rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo for medical attention. Unfortunately, he was pronounced dæd by the doctors on duty.
“The Command has commenced a full-scale investigation into the incident and intensified efforts to identify, apprehend and bring the fleeing suspects to justice.
“The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, strongly cøndemns the dãstardly act and assures members of the public that the Command will deploy all available resources to apprehend those responsible.
“The Command therefore urges anyone with useful information that could assist the investigation to promptly approach the nearest pølice station or contact the Command through its official channels. Members of the public are also advised to remain calm and refrain from taking the law into their own hands,” the statement said.
ℹ️Ethnic African Stories